Thursday, August 14, 2008

An interesting day...

I watched the men's individual gymnastics last night - WOW, Jonathan Horton is a cutie. The other US guy, Alexander something, wasn't too bad either. :-D

Today we woke up to find that our kitty Bailey was no longer waddling around full of babies... but the kittens were NOWHERE to be found. Do you know what one of the worst feelings in the world is? The feeling that, after you've spent hours traipsing through woods and digging in old machinery, you may have just missed a little kitten who's going to die because you didn't step a foot closer and see them.
Oh, I should mention that Bailey is the worst mother cat ever! She puts no thought into her babies at all. After she has them, she just completely ignores them - doesn't bite through the cord or anything. She'll have them in the middle of the yard, wherever. So I was a little confused when we couldn't find them - she wouldn't go out of her way to find a secret hiding place.

So I was asking God to help us find them all morning... after an hour of searching, my mom and sisters went to a friend's house, and I got busy with sewing and mowing and stuff. The mower kept killing, though, and I finally decided it had overheated and gave up.

A couple of hours later, I went back out to try again - I finally realized it was out of gas! So I pushed it up to the shop, where we'd been searching pretty intently earlier, because Bailey was up there all morning and the dogs got pretty excited when we went behind it. I saw Lilo sniffing in the grass, like she does when she spots a cricket or grasshopper, and I thought I check - just in case!

Lo and behold, she had found a little orange baby! It took me awhile to get it out of the long grass, because its cord was tangled in the grass and there were three puppies who wanted to see what I was doing.

I just can't believe it was still alive! Bailey probably had them really early this morning, so it was laying in the wet grass for hours! It was dry and warm when I found it, but it hadn't nursed or gone to the bathroom - it still had the placenta attached! (btw, that stuff is NASTY!)
We didn't find any other kitties, though, and I know there had to be more. Saddest thing ever. :-(

But anyway, I am incredibly thankful for a wonderfully sunny day and a really smart, beautiful, gentle dog :-)

Stupid me, I didn't take any pictures. I think the sun got to me - I am so fried!

And, lol, I am kind of a hopeful hypochondriac. I dream of having a tragic fall where I break my leg and am rendered helpless for weeks. Usually, however, my aches and pains are nothing at all.

But not today! My mom had me drive home, and she kept asking me why I sit hunched over the steering wheel. I realized that although I hadn't thought about it before, I go crazy when I'm driving for very long - I try to sit up straight, but my spine and tailbone really start to bother me, like there's little hands inside tickling my back, and the only way to make it stop is to stretch forward. And then I can't breathe! ARGH!
So Mom suggested it might be my tailbone screwing me up, and I remember that 4-5 years ago, Abby went over a bad bump with the 4-wheeler when I was on the back, and I came down really hard. I couldn't sit for days, and it bothered me for months! Maybe I've just gotten so used to it I don't notice anymore... I couldn't figure out why I would get so antsy in church, after an hour of sitting I thought I was going to go nuts if I didn't stand up - I wondered why I was acting like such a three-year-old!
I'm thinking it was broken... so I'm going to go to the chiropractor and get all straightened out! I'm excited!
I probably shouldn't be, though.

1 comment:

Jessica Gookin said...

Yikes. That must be pretty hard. I would probably go nuts too, if that happened to me. If it's okay with you, I'll be praying for her.