Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Books I'm reading right now

I got this book for my plane ride home from Florida when I went down for orientation. I have not gotten very far (just too busy!) but I have heard great things about it and I can't wait to get into it!

I also finished 'Clay in the Potter's Hand' by Dorothy Sun today. That was a hard book to read - I almost put it down 3/4 of the way through. It just makes you miserable reading about the torture and suffering Chinese Christians have gone through!

Let's see... what else. I also just read Renting Lacy by Linda Smith and Cindy Coloma. Ohhh, that is a must read! It's about prostitution in America. It is so sad, so awful. Here's a paragraph that really touched me:

When I grow up, I want to be a prostitute.
I want to be used by men however they wished.
And I'll say, "Oh baby, yes, I love it, I love everything about you." And I'll hold back my vomit and keep on my smiles to convince them, so they'll stop slapping me. But because I love it, because I love the taste of everything about them, they'll say I'm a slut, a dirty little girl who needs to be punished. They'll burn cigarettes into my skin, jab me anyplace they like, bloody my nose, blacken my eyes, laugh at my tears, hold a gun to my head, cut me, tattoo me, as their eyes grow large and excited. I'll scream and cry and beg because I can't act anymore.
I don't want to be riding a pink bicycle with a basket in the front. I hate the little girls with their hands held tight by fathers, fathers who look at me in disgust and cover their daughters' eyes so they don't see me. I don't want to be one of those girls with a decorated bedroom and frilly pillows
on my bed. I don't want to giggle and talk about whether a boy likes me or not. I don't want to decide for myself whether to wait for marriage to have sex and remain a virgin.
When I grow up, I don't want to attend college, consider joining a sorority, or have my own apartment. I don't want to try different career paths or figure out who I am. I don't wish for a wedding day in a church or on a beach with bridesmaids, a dad walking me down the aisle, little flower petals beneath my feet. Who cares about baby showers or decorating a nursery? I don't want to learn how to cook or decide between being a stay-at-home mom or a working mother. I don't want any of those things.
Because when I grow up, I want to be a prostitute.


-from Renting Lacy by Linda Smith and Cindy Coloma. Doesn't that break your heart?

I'm working on this book, too. I wish I had more time to read!


Other books escape my mind, but I have had time to read a few others this summer. I read a fantastic summary of American history, with great pictures and quotes! I just can't remember the name though. That's all I got!

No comments: