Saturday, June 5, 2010

Thanking God for summer!

Finally on here again - finals came and went and I've just gotten busier and busier. I started another blog, http://www.theantivegetarian.blogspot.com/, about my battles with food allergies, and I am going to try and post on that regularly so this blog might have to be put on the back burner.

I started a great nanny job this Tuesday, and got my first car the Tuesday before that - God is providing, no doubt about it! I was thinking about that the other day - I get so excited when great things happen, and am so thankful that God is providing - but He's providing all the time, isn't he? With rare exceptions (aka when we let my dad do the grocery shopping), I am able to find healthy food that I can eat in my kitchen every day. I've been blessed with a great church and a family that I love to be with. Last night we went to the Relay For Life in town, and I marveled at the AWESOME city I get to live in! So many people came out to support the fight against cancer. I feel like I must live in the best place in America!

When I stop to think about it, it boggles my mind how great my life is - and then I start to feel like a spoiled brat. I need to remind myself what people in the rest of the world are going through. I was just reading Compassion magazine's summer issue on Haiti, about the horrible things people in Haiti went through when the earthquake struck. It stirs me up - I want to go live there instead and try to help!

And in my hometown too - there are many homeless people here. A couple of times I've gotten gift cards and given them to people looking for help - I really hope it makes a difference. I don't know. My prayers are probably far more important, anyway.

On a less serious note - I'm going to try and take my nanny kids to the library once a week. Yesterday I was able to actually finish a book, the Lost Island of Tamarind. I LOVED it! I suppose some people would find it juvenile, but I adore jungle-sea-lost-children-pirate-princess adventures, and this book was packed with them! A girl and boy and their baby sister live on a boat with their scientist parents, who are washed overboard during a storm. The siblings manage to find a island that immediately shows itself to have some magical properties. There's lots of scheming and adventure and they go all over the place - the island has all kinds of different cultures and peoples whom the kids come into contact with.
The book had lots of minor mysteries and plot twists (which I love), most of which were revealed at the end ( I didn't like that not everything was explained!), and of course, a very happy ending. I wish it were a whole series, but alas... I'll just have to read it again someday. :-)

Well, it's time to say goodbye for now. I would love to be posting every week, but I just get too busy. *sigh* Maybe I will have better luck with the Antivegetarian!

No comments: